If you've moved to NSW from another state or territory, you need to register your vehicle in NSW. You can do this at a Service NSW Centre.

Note: If a vehicle is kept or garaged in NSW and doesn't have a NSW registration, it is considered 'unregistered'. Severe penalties apply if you drive an unregistered or uninsured vehicle.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • your business or organisation details (if applicable)
  • proof of your registration entitlement
  • evidence of pensioner or concession entitlement (if applicable)
  • the original number plates
  • original compulsory third party (CTP) insurance receipt (green slip) – insurance must be issued for 12 months, be without number plates details and must be issued by a NSW insurance provider
  • report from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) station (blue slip), issued no more than 42 days prior
  • compliance certificate from the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (if the vehicle has been modified)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'
  • your payment.

To receive a NSW stamp duty exemption, you'll need to provide:

  • a current certificate of registration in your name, and
  • if applicable, other evidence that confirms you've paid stamp duty on the following vehicle types in these states:
    • Australian Capital Territory: Light vehicles (other than trailers and motorcycles) with a year model of 2008 and onward
    • Queensland: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes, and primary producer vehicles over 6 tonnes
    • South Australia: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes, and buses with 12 seats or more that are used for hire and reward
    • Victoria: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes. 

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Gather the required documents and your old number plates.
  4. Take the completed form, required documents and number plates to a service centre and lodge your application.

More information

  • Blue slip reports are only valid for 42 days.
  • If you want to claim toll relief, you'll need to contact a NSW toll provider and set up a NSW personal toll account.
  • In a few circumstances, you're able to keep your old interstate number plates. It depends on the state/territory of issue, and the type of plate.
  • If you've moved from NSW and are now living interstate, you'll need to apply to register your NSW vehicle in the state or territory you’ve moved to. Visit that state or territory’s government website for more information.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 9 July 2024

Rate the information on the page