If you’re buying a vehicle, such as a car, motorcycle or trailer, this is what you need to know before and after your purchase.

Buying a brand new vehicle

Before you buy

Before you buy a brand new vehicle, you should:  

After you buy

After you buy a brand new vehicle, you should:

Buying a second-hand vehicle

Before you buy

Before you buy a second-hand vehicle, you should:  

After you buy

After you buy a second-hand vehicle, you should follow these steps:

  1. Get proof of purchase from the seller, such as: 
    • 'Part B Registration transfer details' on the back of the physical (paper) Certificate of Registration, or 
    • a receipt or invoice with no alterations which includes the:
      • vehicle’s details (plate number, VIN/chassis number, engine number, colour, make and model)
      • date and time of sale 
      • name, address and signature of both the buyer and seller. 
  2. Transfer the vehicle registration within 14 days of the purchase date to avoid a late transfer fee. Before you can complete the transfer online, the seller first needs to complete a Notice of Disposal (NOD). Alternatively, you can visit a Service NSW Centre with proof of purchase to transfer the vehicle registration in person.
  3. Check that the vehicle has a current compulsory third party (CTP) insurance (green slip). When you buy a vehicle that has a current NSW registration, the green slip will automatically transfer to you, unless it is expired or the seller has cancelled it and requested a refund.
    • Note: If you need to get CTP insurance (green slip) you can use the Green Slip Price Check to compare insurance provider quotes.
  4. Consider getting third party property insurance or comprehensive insurance for further coverage. If you already have insurance, make sure to inform your insurance provider.
  5. Manage your number plates (if applicable) by:
  6. Open an e-toll or toll pass account if you don’t already have one. Or update your existing account(s). For more information, refer to Tolls.

Buying a vehicle with an expired, cancelled or suspended registration

There are additional considerations if the vehicle you purchased or intend to buy has an expired, cancelled or suspended registration.

Registration expired less than 3 months ago

After you complete the vehicle registration transfer, you’ll need to renew the vehicle registration as soon as possible. You cannot drive a vehicle with an expired registration. Heavy fines apply.

As part of the registration, you'll need compulsory third party (CTP) insurance (green slip) and a safety inspection report (pink slip), if applicable.

Note: a safety inspection report (pink slip) for light vehicles is only valid for 6 months from the date of issue. It must be used to renew a registration within those 6 months.

Registration expired more than 3 months ago (cancelled registration)

If a vehicle registration has been expired for more than 3 months, it will be automatically cancelled. If you purchased a vehicle with cancelled registration, you’ll need to re-register the vehicle and get:

Suspended registration

You’ll need to visit a service centre to transfer and register the vehicle.

Transferring a vehicle

When a NSW-registered vehicle changes ownership, Transport for NSW needs to update its records. To do this, it requires:

  1. The seller to lodge a Notice of Disposal (NOD) of the vehicle.
  2. The buyer to transfer the vehicle's registration into their name. 

If you're transferring the ownership of a vehicle, for example to a spouse or family member, you can do this online. However, in some circumstances, you'll need to visit a service centre. Other considerations may apply.

For more information, see Transferring a vehicle.

Related information

Last updated: 11 July 2024

Rate the information on the page