If your vehicle is classified as written-off by the insurer, it will be recorded on the NSW Written-Off Vehicle Register.
You'll be notified in writing that the vehicle has been written-off and the registration cancelled.
You then need to take the plates to a service centre within 14 days to complete the cancellation.
What you need
- Your proof of identity
- The Number Plates and/or Cancellation of Registration Application form
- Your current Certificate of Registration (if available)
- The number plates (or a written declaration that the plates were lost or stolen, or a receipt if surrendered interstate)
- A Police Incident Report or insurance statement showing date of the incident (if applicable)
How to cancel
- Download and complete the Number Plates and/or Cancellation of Registration Application – PDF.
- Gather the required documentation and the number plates (if available), and then visit a service centre and provide the information in person.