Text size


If you hold a motor vehicle tradesperson certificate and need to add or remove a class of repair work, you can do that in person at a service centre, or by mail.

What you need

If you’re adding a class of repair work, you’ll need:

If you’re removing a class of repair work, you’ll need:

  • a signed letter that clearly shows your certificate number and personal details, requesting removal of the class of repair work.

How to change

  1. Download and complete the Tradesperson’s Certificate Amendment Application: Add Class of Repair Work – PDF form (if adding a class of repair work), or write and sign a request letter (if removing a class of repair work).
  2. Attach any relevant documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application in person, or mail it to:
    Business Licensing
    Locked Bag 5138
    Parramatta NSW 2124

More information

  • your tradesperson certificate will be valid for 3 years, after which you’ll need to renew or restore it
  • you’ll need to complete a recognised training course for each class of repair work you want to appear on your tradesperson certificate.

Classes of repair work include:

  • automotive electrician
  • body maker
  • compressed natural gas mechanic
  • exhaust repair
  • liquefied natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
  • motorcycle mechanic
  • motor mechanic
  • panelbeater
  • steering, suspension and wheel alignment 
  • radiator repair
  • trailer and caravan mechanic
  • transmission specialist
  • underbody work
  • vehicle painter
  • electrical accessory fitting
  • glazing work.

Visit the NSW Fair Trading website to make sure you have all the information.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 1 November 2021