With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


If you're an Australian citizen aged 18 years or over, state and federal laws require you to enrol to vote, as well as to keep your details on the electoral roll correct and up-to-date. If you move address and fail to update your details, you may be taken off the electoral roll, be unable to vote, and may get a fine for not voting. 

If you need to enrol for the first time, or get back on the roll if you've been removed, you can do this online. 


Voting is compulsory if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, or a British citizen who was enrolled to vote in Australia on 25 January 1984, and
  • are aged 18 years or older, and
  • have lived at your current address for at least one month.

You can enrol to vote after you've turned 16 years of age, but you can't vote until you're 18.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • your address details, and
  • your proof of identity (a Driver Licence, an Australian Passport, or the endorsement of an enrolled voter).

How to enrol

  1. Select the 'Enrol online' button.
  2. Complete the online form.
  3. Read and confirm the declaration.
  4. Submit the form.

More information

  • you only need to complete one form for federal, state or territory and local government elections
  • there are special enrolment options for people with special needs, or with specific circumstances that may affect their enrolment such as moving overseas
  • for incorrect details on the notification of your enrolment from the AEC, visit the Australian Electoral Commission
  • printed forms are also available from Australia Post, Centrelink or Medicare outlets
  • you will need to provide evidence of your identity.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Australian Electoral Commission

You'll be taken to another website.