In NSW, unclaimed money from lost bank accounts, shares, investments and life insurance policies is in the millions of dollars. If you’d like to find out if any of that money belongs to you, check ASIC’s MoneySmart website.
What you need
- your name, or
- the original transaction number (OTN).
How to find
- Select the 'Check online' button.
- Enter your name or the OTN.
- Select 'Search'.
- If your search is successful, any unclaimed money will be displayed.
- Select the account name.
- Print or email the result to record your OTN and relevant information.
- For details on how to claim your money, visit one of the following:
- Money lodged with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) is transferred to the Commonwealth of Australia Consolidated Revenue Fund but is available to be claimed at any time by the rightful owner. There are no time limits on claiming this money.
- Bank accounts become unclaimed after 7 years if the account is inactive (no deposits or withdrawals). Life insurance policies become unclaimed 7 years after the policy matures and is not claimed.
- Interest is paid on unclaimed money, calculated from 1 July 2013.
Last updated: 9 September 2022