In NSW, unclaimed money from lost bank accounts, shares, investments and life insurance policies, is in the millions of dollars. If you'd like to find out if any of that money belongs to you, you can do so online, using MoneySmart.
What you need
- your name, or
- the original transaction number (OTN).
How to find
- Select the 'Check online' button.
- Enter your name or the OTN.
- Select 'Search'.
- If your search is successful, any unclaimed monies will be displayed.
- Select the account name.
- Print or email the result to record your OTN and relevant information.
- For details on how to claim your money, visit one of the following:
- Bank accounts become unclaimed after 7 years.
- Interest is paid on unclaimed money, calculated from 1 July 2013.
- Money lodged with ASIC is transferred to the Commonwealth of Australia Consolidated Revenue Fund but is available to be claimed at any time by the rightful owner. There are no time-limits on claiming this money.