Your vehicle must be suitable for safe use (roadworthy) and meet the standards required by law to be registered in NSW.

If your vehicle is not safe to drive, you could be issued a Defect Notice.

If you get a Defect Notice, you must repair your vehicle by the due date on the notice.

You can visit a Service NSW Centre or call 13 77 88 to:

  • clear or correct a Defect Notice
  • update your vehicle details or registration after your vehicle defects are repaired and your inspection report is updated.

What you need

Depending on your circumstances, you may need your:

  • proof of identity
  • vehicle registration details
  • Defect Notice
  • inspection report
  • payment.
Last updated: 7 December 2023

Rate the information on the page