Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

NSW Fair Trading have implemented licensing changes to the real estate and property industry from March 2020. To learn more about the changes visit the Fair Trading website or call 13 32 20.


If you're a self-managing landlord or property agent, you're legally required to offer a tenant the option of lodging their bond directly through Rental Bonds Online (RBO).

If the tenant is unable to access the online service, or chooses to use the paper-based method, you'll need to lodge a Rental Bond Lodgement form. These forms are available in the Links section of your RBO account.

What you need

  • the Rental Bond Lodgement form signed by the tenant
  • the bond.

How to lodge

  1. Log in to your RBO account.
  2. Select the Links section, and download a Rental Bond Lodgement form.
  3. Complete the form, and have your tenant sign it.
  4. Lodge the form:
    • by mail to the address on the form, and include the bond (cheque/money order), or
    • visit a service centre and deliver the form and bond (cash, credit card, debit card, cheque or money order) in person.

More information

  • Penalties may apply if you don't inform a tenant they can lodge their bond using RBO.
  • When using the paper-based method you can only take the rental bond after the tenant signs the tenancy agreement.
  • You cannot keep the money yourself or put it into an account in the tenant’s name.
  • The cheque or money order can be made out to Rental Bond Board.
  • Once a bond is received you must provide a receipt, or note the payment details on the tenancy agreement, and provide a copy to the tenant.
  • If you're letting and managing the property yourself, you have 10 working days to lodge the bond.
  • You'll receive confirmation (with the bond number) from Fair Trading, once the bond is processed.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.