An NDISWC is valid for 5 years and can be used across Australia with any NDIS employer and in any NDIS role.
You do not have to reapply if you move interstate or change employers or roles.
- Your application needs to be verified by your NDIS employer.
- If you're not yet employed or not about to be employed by an NDIS provider, you cannot apply for an NDISWC.
- An NDISWC clearance is only required for roles that are:
- likely to require 'more than incidental contact' with NDIS participants, or
- involved in the delivery of 'specified supports and services', or
- classified as 'key personnel'.
Speak to your employer. They will advise whether you need an NDISWC as part of your work.
What you need
To complete the online application, you'll need:
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- 4 identity documents such as:
- Australian driver licence
- Australian passport
- Medicare card
- utility bill (gas, water, electricity, telephone, mobile phone, internet).
- Identity documents must:
- be current (not expired – unless allowable as stated in NDISWC – Proving your identity)
- be original (not copies, photos or scans)
- not be laminated
- be government-issued if using digital documents (such as digital driver licence, Medicare or Centrelink).
- Please note: If you do not have the minimum identity documents you may still be able to apply online using special provisions.
- Identity documents must:
- your employer's NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission registration number or name. Your employer should provide you with this.
- your current and previous addresses (if applicable) for the last 5 years
- your name, and if applicable, previous names you've been known by throughout your life
- your email address (mandatory) and phone number
- to give consent to a criminal history check, and to your identity, criminal and workplace records, and other information about you being shared with other agencies involved in NDIS regulation and worker screening
- to provide information from your history about other worker screening checks, court orders relating to child protection, crimes committed overseas and workplace misconduct matters
- if you're under 18, your parent/legal guardian's personal details, phone number, email address and consent to your application.
How to apply
When you apply for an NDISWC there are 3 steps.
Step 1: Lodge an online application.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the online form.
- You'll be sent a confirmation email with an application number.
Step 2: Visit a Service NSW centre within 14 days (2 weeks). You'll need:
- your application number (contained in your confirmation email)
- your original identity documents (not photocopies, photos or scans, and any paper documents must not be laminated)
- the application fee ($80, or free for volunteers)
- to have your photo taken.
Service NSW will send your application to the NDISWC screening agency for processing.
Step 3: Your employer will verify your application.
- Your NDIS employer is asked to verify your application. If they do not do this within 30 days, your application will be cancelled without a refund.
- When your employer has verified your application you'll receive an email confirming this. You may be able to start work at this point. Your employer will advise you.
- Once your application is verified the assessment process begins.
- You'll be advised by email of the outcome of the assessment, or if more information is needed from you.
- It's not possible to provide a time frame as to how long an application takes to process. Other agencies are relied on to provide information – for example, if a risk assessment is being conducted.
- You can check the status of your NDISWC by logging into your MyServiceNSW Account.