To advise Transport for NSW that a person with licences and/or vehicle or vessel registrations has died, visit a Service NSW Centre with documents to confirm the death.

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will inform Transport for NSW of the death, but that may take some time.

What you need

  • one of the following documents:
    • death certificate (original or copy)
    • newspaper death notice
    • letter from a solicitor or the NSW Trustee and Guardian advising that the person has died
    • a completed Advice of Death – PDF form together with proof of identity documentation for the person who died
    • in the case of a missing person presumed deceased, a 'Presumption of Death Order' issued by the Supreme Court (original or copy).

More information

To transfer a registered vehicle or vessel to either the administrator of the estate or the surviving joint registered operator or next of kin, find out how to transfer a:

Last updated: 5 January 2024