To transfer a Transport for NSW E-Toll Account to another person because the account holder has died, you need to visit a Service NSW Centre. 

The account may be transferred to a spouse or surviving partner, but not a family member.

Note: You also have the option to close the account.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • the E-Toll Account details
  • the tag/s (if closing an E-Toll Tag Account)
  • the E-Toll Account Transfer form
  • a copy of the Will for the person who has died.

To confirm the death

You'll need one of the following documents:

  • a completed Advice of Death form
  • the death certificate (original or copy)
  • a newspaper death notice
  • a letter from a solicitor or the NSW Trustee and Guardian advising that the person has died
  • in the case of a missing person presumed to have died, a 'Presumption of Death Order' issued by the Supreme Court (original or copy).

To confirm your relationship

You'll need one of the following documents confirming the relationship status:

How to transfer

  1. Download and complete the PDF form – Application for transfer of an E-Toll Account.
  2. Make sure you have all the required documents.
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your application.
Last updated: 28 November 2023