COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Temporarily unavailable

The Service NSW website is currently unable to accept requests to register or update ownership of your dog or cat. Please visit the NSW Pet Registry website to complete this transaction. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Text size


Your dog or cat must be registered on the NSW Pet Registry by the time it's 6 months old. Registration is done once and is valid for the lifetime of the pet. If a dog or cat changes owners, there is no need to register the pet again or pay an additional registration fee.

You can change the ownership of a cat or dog by 'claiming the pet' and updating its registration details on the NSW Pet Registry.

Prior to registration, your dog or cat needs to be microchipped. The microchip contains a unique 15-digit number which helps in identification if the animal is lost or stolen. Your vet/authorised implanter will provide this number to the NSW Pet Registry.

You can register your pet and pay the one-off registration fee online through your MyServiceNSW Account.

Note: If your pet is an assistance animal, you need to register it through your local council.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • your Australian driver licence, Australian passport or Medicare card
  • the pet's microchip ID number
  • a current credit card.

How to register or update ownership

  1. Check if your dog or cat is registered on the NSW Pet Registry.

  2. If your cat or dog is already registered, there is no need to register your pet again. You can change the ownership of a cat or dog by 'claiming the pet' and updating its registration details on the NSW Pet Registry.

  3. If your dog or cat isn't registered, select the 'Register online' button.

  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.

  5. Enter your identity document details, if required.

  6. Enter your pet's microchip number.

  7. Confirm all details are correct and contact the NSW Pet Registry or your local council if there are any inaccuracies.
  8. Make your payment.
  9. Your receipt and Pet Registration Certificate will be emailed to you.

More information

  • Concessions apply for eligible pensioners, and for animals that have been desexed. To receive a concession, the desexed details must be included in your pet's microchip record. Contact your vet or local council with your desexing certificate to update microchip records.
  • You can update your contact details, report your pet missing or claim your existing pet through the NSW Pet Registry.
  • There are penalties if you don't microchip and register your dog or cat.
  • If you move interstate, you may need to re-register your pet according to local state or council requirements.