Online renewal applications must be lodged before the licence expiry date. This is necessary so that the authority to possess or use firearms under the current licence will continue, while the renewal is being processed.
The Firearms Registry will email you a renewal notice if you have a Gun Safe account, or send a letter by mail when the licence is within 90 days of expiring. If you have not renewed it within 7 days of its expiry date, they will send you an SMS reminder or contact you by phone.
You can select to add or delete a genuine reason or category when renewing the current licence through the online renewal process only.
The nominated licence holder or person must be a resident of NSW and:
- hold a current NSW individual firearms licence that is within 90 days of expiring, or
- have received your notification from the Firearms Registry advising you to lodge your licence renewal online.
What you need
The nominated licence holder or person will need:
- proof of identity documents such as their driver licence and Medicare card
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- their current firearms licence number
- details of the address(s) where they'll safely store the firearms (if applicable)
- electronic documentation to support their genuine reason/category (if applicable)
- a current credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for payment.
How to renew
- Select the 'Renew online' button.
- You will be taken to the NSW Police Force Community Self Service Portal.
- Check that you have all the documentation required.
- Select 'Log in with Service NSW'.
- Follow the prompts to complete the renewal application.