You can renew your transport concession entitlement card for concession fares on public transport in NSW, provided you still meet the eligibility criteria. You can renew your card online up to 6 weeks before it expires.


You must be:

  • a permanent resident of NSW
  • a war veteran from Australia, New Zealand or a WWII Allied Nation having reciprocal pension rights with Australia, and:
    • been rated by the DVA as having a service-related disability of 10% or more, or
    • receive, or have received, payment from the DVA for permanent impairment compensation, and your overall impairment points are 10 or higher.

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your DVA file number.

How to renew

  1. Select the 'Renew online' button.
  2. Select the entitlement type and enter your DVA file number and personal details.
  3. Select 'Find'.
  4. Complete and submit the online application.

More information

  • You must carry your transport concession entitlement card (proof of entitlement) when travelling with a concession ticket or a concession Opal card, or you may be fined.
  • Free travel isn't available on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services, Great Southern Rail services, or NSW TrainLink regional services.
    • If you live outside the Sydney and Newcastle suburban areas however, you are entitled to a combined total of 3 return or 6 single free journeys on NSW TrainLink each calendar year, for travel within NSW or the NSW portion of an interstate journey. When travelling interstate, you pay the applicable fare from the NSW border to the interstate destination.
  • You'll need to pay a concessional station access fee at Sydney Domestic and International Airport train stations.
  • Check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if they recognise the ex-member of the defence forces free travel pass.
Last updated: 29 March 2023