If you're a war veteran with a service related disability, you can apply for an ex-defence personnel transport concession entitlement card. This card entitles you to free travel on most public transport in NSW. You'll also get a free Opal card. The Opal card lets you open gates at train stations and ferry wharves without staff.


You must:

  • be a permanent resident of NSW
  • be a war veteran from Australia, New Zealand or a WWII Allied Nation having reciprocal pension rights with Australia, and:
    • have been rated by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) as having a service-related disability of 10% or more, or
    • receive, or have received, periodic payments or a lump sum from the DVA for permanent impairment compensation and your overall impairment points for injuries or diseases related to overseas warlike or non-warlike service are 10 points or higher.


What you need

  • your DVA file number, and
  • your Unique Identification Number (UIN), if applicable.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Select the 'Veterans Concession' entitlement type and enter your DVA file number and UIN if applicable.
  4. Complete and submit the form.

More information

  • You must carry your transport concession entitlement card (proof of entitlement) when travelling with a concession ticket or a concession Opal card, or you may be fined.
  • Free travel isn't available on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services, Great Southern Rail services, or NSW TrainLink regional services.
    • If you live outside the Sydney and Newcastle suburban areas however, you are entitled to a combined total of 3 return or 6 single free journeys on NSW TrainLink each calendar year, for travel within NSW or the NSW portion of an interstate journey. When travelling interstate, you pay the applicable fare from the NSW border to the interstate destination.
  • You'll need to pay a concessional station access fee at Sydney Domestic and International Airport train stations.
  • Check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if they recognise the ex-defence personnel transport concession entitlement card.
Last updated: 29 March 2023