Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


If one or both of your number plates have been lost or destroyed, you'll need to visit a service centre and report it. 

If one or both of your number plates have been stolen, before visiting the service centre, report the matter to the NSW Police Force and obtain a COPS Event Number.

You may be able to report online through the NSW Police Force Community Portal. Alternatively, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or attend your local police station.

When you visit the service centre, you'll need to surrender your plate(s) if you have them, and receive new ones. Please be aware that the replacement plates won't be exact copies of your previous plates.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Number plates and/or cancellation of registration application'
  • access to a printer
  • your proof of identity
  • a method of payment for your number plate fee
  • the remaining plate/s.

If your number plates were stolen, you'll also need:

  • the COPS Event Number (issued to you by the Police).

How to order

  1. Download and complete the Number Plates and/or Cancellation of Registration Application – PDF.
  2. Gather the required documentation and your remaining plate(s).
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application, with payment.

More information

  • You'll need to surrender your old plate(s) (if applicable) to receive your new plates at the service centre.
  • If you'd like to have your new plates re-issued with your previous plate number, you'll need to make a request in writing to myPlates. You must meet specific requirements, including a waiting period of 6 months. After that time, Transport for NSW will assess the circumstances and make a decision on whether to grant permission for the re-issue. For more information visit the myPlates website or call 02 9433 1600.
  • Please bring the necessary tools and screws with you if you'll be picking up plates for the vehicle you're driving. Operating a vehicle without number plates is illegal.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.