Drivers of fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles must complete and carry a National Driver Work Diary if they drive more than 100 kilometres from their home base; drivers operating under basic fatigue management (BFM) or advanced fatigue management (AFM), must carry a diary, regardless of the distance they travel from their home base; and primary producers or drivers for primary producers must carry a diary if they drive fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles more than 160 kilometres from their home base.

Fatigue-regulated vehicles are:

  • a vehicle or vehicle combination weighing more than 12 tonnes
  • a bus of more than 4.5 tonnes, fitted to carry more than 12 adults including the driver.

The work diary is evidence that drivers are complying with:

  • the standard hours limits for work and rest
  • keeping appropriate records
  • managing fatigue.

You can visit a service centre to buy a National Driver Work Diary. 


Under the Heavy Vehicle National Law:

  • drivers of fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles who drive more than 100 kilometres from their home base
  • primary producers or drivers for primary producers who drive fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles more than 160 kilometres from their home base. 
  • drivers who operate under BFM or AFM.

In certain circumstances operators may apply for a work diary exemption.

The fatigue laws relating to work diaries apply in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, and South Australia. As drivers of heavy vehicles located in the ACT regularly drive interstate, the work diary regulations apply as per the other jurisdictions.

If you're operating in Western Australia or the Northern Territory, you don't have to use a work diary unless you leave the state or territory.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • your driving licence
  • the security number of your previous work diary (if applicable)
  • 2 completed National Driver Work Diary application forms (original and duplicate) at the front of the work diary.

How to apply

  1. Visit a service centre to buy a work diary. 
  2. Complete the original and duplicate application forms in the presence of the issuing officer.

More information

  • A motorhome is not a fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle.
  • If your work diary is lost, stolen or destroyed, you must notify the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) within 2 business days. You can use a Supplementary work diary record – PDF  for up to 7 business days until you buy a new diary.
  • If your stay in Western Australia or the Northern Territory is less than 7 days, you should fill out your work diary for the entire period.
  • When you leave Western Australia or the Northern Territory after a stay of more than 7 days, you must use your diary from at least the last major rest break before you crossed the border.
  • If you live outside NSW, check the NHVR's website to find where you can buy a work diary.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 6 November 2023