If you move to NSW from another state, you can only drive on an interstate licence for the first 3 months. After that period, you'll need to visit a service centre and apply for a NSW driver licence.
Your probationary licence will be transferred to a licence of the same class with a mandatory good behaviour period provision.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- evidence of the first issue date of your interstate licence
- your concession card details (if applicable)
- your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
- the PDF forms:
- 'Licence Application'
- 'Good Behaviour Election/Acknowledgement'.
How to apply
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.