If you move to NSW from another state, you can only drive on an interstate licence for the first 3 months. After that period, you'll need to visit a service centre and apply for a NSW driver licence.

Your probationary licence will be transferred to a licence of the same class with a mandatory good behaviour period provision.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • evidence of the first issue date of your interstate licence
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Licence Application'
    • 'Good Behaviour Election/Acknowledgement'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
Last updated: 6 November 2023

Rate the information on the page