If you'd like to transfer special number plates (SNPs) or personalised plates to another person, you can do this at a service centre.
Transferring plates can refer to:
- the physical transfer of special number plates from one vehicle to another (such as using the plate to establish registration)
- the physical transfer of general issue number plates from one vehicle to another (such as exchange of plates)
- the transfer of the 'right to display' SNPs or general issue plates, from one person to another when the number plate is reserved, or the registration is being transferred.
Note: A plate transfer does not transfer registration or change the registered operator of the vehicle.
What you need
How to transfer
- Download and complete the Transfer Right to Display – PDF.
- Gather your supporting documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- All rights and obligations of the SNPs agreement are transferred to the recipient of the SNPs.
- An annual fee for personalised plates may be activated if they were bought prior to September 2003 and do not currently attract an annual fee.
- An additional annual fee (calculated on a pro-rata basis) may be required depending on the registration expiry dates of the vehicles involved.