Concessions and subsidies are available for eligible people to help with the cost of public transport in and around Sydney.
Child, primary and secondary student travel concessions
- Children aged 3 years and under travel free on public transport in NSW.
- Children aged 4 - 15 years are entitled to concession fares with the child/youth Opal card.
- Full-time students aged 16 years and older holding a transport concession entitlement card pay concession fares.
- Primary and secondary students in NSW may also be entitled to free or subsidised travel to and from school.
For school student eligibility and applications, see school student travel at Transport for NSW.
Concession fares are available to:
- Tertiary and TAFE students
- Apprentices and trainees
- Centrelink customers
- Asylum seekers
- People with a Vision Impaired Person’s Pass
- NSW Companion Card holders
- Veterans and war widows and widowers.
For eligibility and applications, see how to order and apply for Opal cards.
- Apply for a transport concession entitlement card as an asylum seeker
- Apply for a transport concession entitlement card (ex-defence personnel with a disability)
- Apply for a transport concession entitlement card as a job seeker or approved Centrelink customer
- Apply for a transport concession entitlement card as a tertiary or TAFE student
- Apply for a transport concession entitlement card as an apprentice or trainee
- Apply for a Victoria Cross or George Cross recipients' travel concession card
- Apply for a gold senior/pensioner Opal card