When you apply for an NDISWC you're required to prove your identity. The documents you use to prove your identity enable the screening agency to:

  • conduct a criminal history check
  • gather the necessary information to assess your application
  • be assured that you are who you say you are.

Most workers do not have a criminal record, or have minor or unrelated offences. However, some workers have committed serious offences, and for the safety of NDIS participants it's important they are identified.

Identity process

There are 2 steps to prove your identity. 

Step 1: During the online application you enter the details of your identity documents. The details of one of those documents are checked against other government records using the Document Verification Service.

If your details do not match, you can fix any errors or use an alternative identity document.

Once your details are authenticated you can proceed with the online form.

Step 2: You take all your identity documents to a Service NSW service centre where they will be sighted by a staff member to make sure:

  • all documents are in the same name (if not, a change of name or marriage certificate will be required)
    • Note: Paper documents must not be laminated.
  • your photo identity document is a true representation of you
  • none of the documents are fraudulent or inaccurate.

You must visit the service centre within 14 days of completing the online application form.

    Identity document requirements

    You must provide 4 documents from 3 categories.

    Your documents must be current and original:

    • original paper documents that have been laminated are not acceptable
    • photos, photocopies or certified copies are not acceptable
    • expired documents are not acceptable (unless specified)
    • Government-issued digital documents, such as a NSW digital driver licence, are accepted.

    At least one of your documents must contain your signature and photo.

    All documents must be in the same name. They cannot display different first, middle or last names except when:

    • an initial is used (such as J Smith instead of John Smith), or
    • a middle name is not included (such as John Smith instead of John James Smith)
    • you use an abbreviated or common name (such as John Smith and Johnathan Smith)
    • you have legally changed your name.

    One document must contain your name in full. For example, only the first initial on every document is not acceptable.

    If your documents are in different names because your name has been legally changed due to marriage, divorce or any other legal reason, you'll also need to provide one of the following:

    • Australian marriage certificate (issued by a state or territory registry)
    • Australian change of name certificate (issued by a state or territory registry)

    Note: A statutory declaration or a certificate issued by a marriage celebrant is not an acceptable change of name document.

      You must provide officially translated documents if any of your identity documents are not in English. Take both the original and the translated document(s) with you when you visit the service centre.

      Identity documents and categories

      Your 4 identity documents must come from 3 categories:

      • 1 document from Category A
      • 1 document from Category B
      • 2 documents from Category C.

      Category A – one of the following documents

      • Australian birth certificate issued by a state or territory registry (full certificate, not an extract or birth card)
      • Australian passport (private, official or diplomatic)
      • Australian ImmiCard
      • Australian visa (current at time of entry to Australia; evidenced as a visa sticker or Visa Entitlement Verification Online certificate)
      • Australian citizenship certificate.

      Note: If you were born in Australia and your birth was registered but you do not currently have a Category A document, we suggest you apply for a birth certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state/territory in which you were born.

      Category B – one of the following documents

      • Australian driver licence, learner permit or provisional licence
      • Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory registry 
      • Australian change of name certificate issued by a state or territory registry 
      • Australian proof of age card issued by a state or territory government agency
      • Australian adult shooter or firearm licence (not minor or junior permit/licence)  
      • Australian student identification card with signature or photo (only if under 18 years of age).

      Note: If you do not currently have a Category B document, we suggest you apply for a NSW Photo Card.

      Category C – two of the following documents

      • Medicare card
      • Centrelink concession card or Australian health care card
      • Australian university or other tertiary student photo identity card (if 18 years or older)
      • academic transcript or certificate of completion from an Australian university or tertiary institution
      • Australian secondary student photo identity card (if 18 years or older)
      • Australian issued bank, debit or credit card
      • Australian bank statement (issued within the last 12 months)
      • Australian Tax Office notice of assessment (most recent financial year)
      • Australian local council rates notice (within the last 12 months)
      • Australian land valuation notice (within the last 12 months)
      • Australian utility bill – gas, water, electricity, telephone, mobile phone, internet (within the last 12 months)
      • passport issued by a country other than Australia.

      Special provisions

          If you do not have the documents to meet the minimum identity requirements from categories A, B and C you may be able to apply using special provisions.

          If you require special provisions to prove your identity you must have a legitimate reason and be able to provide evidence to support your reason.

          Note: Paper documents must not be laminated.

          The documents required include:

          • 1 document that confirms a legitimate reason exists
          • 6 identity documents from Categories A, B, C or D, with a maximum of:
            • 2 documents from Category A
            • 2 documents from Category B
            • 3 documents from Category C
            • 3 documents from Category D. 

          Category D documents

          • Australian employment payslip (within last 3 months)
          • Australian employment payment summary/group certificate (most recent financial year)
          • driver licence from a country other than Australia (no more than 12 months expired)
          • Australian tenancy/rental agreement (within the last 12 months)
          • Australian vehicle registration certificate or renewal notice (within the last 12 months)
          • trusted referee report – PDF (signed and dated within the last 3 months)
          • reference from an Australian school principal or similar (signed and dated in the last 3 months on school letterhead, confirming the known identity of the student).

          Legitimate reasons

          Legitimate reasons for using the identity special provisions include:

          1. You have arrived in Australia within the last 6 months.
          2. You were born overseas and now live in Australia, but you're not a citizen.
          3. You were born in Australia but you've not yet established an identity in the community.
          4. You have reasons associated with being in statutory care.
          5. You have limited capacity to provide evidence of an identity.
          6. You were not registered at birth or there is conflicting information about the date or place of your birth.
          7. You are transgender or intersex.
          8. You were affected by a natural disaster such as fire or flood, in the last 6 months.

          The evidence that you'll need to provide to confirm a legitimate reason exists:

          Reasons 1 – 6:

          • a NSW statutory declaration from you (the applicant) that outlines your circumstances and the reasons for not being able to provide identity documents.

          Reason 7:

          • a letter or certificate from a registered medical practitioner which specifies a change in gender. 

          Reason 8:

          • an emergency services report, or insurance documents relating to the natural disaster. 

          If you're unsure whether you have the required identity documents or a legitimate reason, email the NDISWC screening agency at contact@ndiswc.nsw.gov.auThey’ll help you determine what may apply in your particular circumstances.

          Last updated: 14 September 2021