Text size


If you want to teach another person to drive in return for money or reward, you need to hold a driving instructor licence. Applying for this licence involves a number of steps, including police checks, an instructor training course and a final assessment.

The first step is to submit the driving instructor licence application form, and you can do this at a service centre.

Please note, there is a separate application procedure if you already hold either an interstate licence or are a member of the NSW Police Force.


You must:

  • be aged 21 years or older
  • hold a current Australian driver licence
  • have held the equivalent class of unrestricted licence in which you want to instruct, for a minimum of 3 of the last 4 years
  • hold a WWCC number.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • a medical practitioner to complete the medical check section of the application form
  • eye specialist or optometrist's report (if applicable)
  • your driver licence
  • your Working With Children Check (WWCC) number
  • if you haven't held a driver licence in NSW for more than 3 years, you'll also need a driving record/history from the state or country where you previously held your licence
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if applicable)
  • 4 passport size photographs
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992 – PDF but don't sign it until you visit a service centre.
  3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • The application form requires your signature to be witnessed, so do not sign it until you attend the service centre.
  • You can apply for more than one instructor licence type (car, light rigid, heavy rigid, etc), as long as you've held an unrestricted equivalent class of licence for at least 3 of the last 4 years.
  • Heavy vehicle driving instructors may not need a WWCC if their instructor licence is to be endorsed with the condition 'May not instruct C licences'.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 1 December 2022