Back to top

The Family Energy Rebate helps NSW family households with dependent children, cover the costs of their energy bills.

If you're an eligible household and receive your electricity bill directly from the energy retailer, you can apply for the Family Energy Rebate online.

Note: If you live in an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme, please visit Apply for the Family Energy Rebate (on-supplied residents).

Apply online

Before you apply, you'll need to have:

  • lodged your tax return for 2017–2018 with the Australian Taxation Office, or informed the Department of Human Services (DHS) if you're not required to lodge a tax return
  • received confirmation from DHS that you were eligible for the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for 2017–2018.

If you've done both these things, you're ready to apply for a rebate. You'll also need:

  • your DHS Customer Reference Number (CRN)
  • your Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) number (if applicable)
  • your personal and contact details
  • a copy of your recent electricity bill.
Apply online
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Complete and submit your application.
Apply online

To be eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate in a given financial year, you must:

  • be a NSW resident
  • be a customer of an electricity retailer, either directly or on-supplied
  • have received the FTB for the previous financial year and have had your entitlement to the FTB payments finalised by Centrelink.

Note: The person in your household who receives the FTB payments should lodge the application. If you're unsure who that is, your FTB correspondence will be addressed to the person who's registered with the Department of Human Services as the FTB recipient.

Apply online
  • If your electricity retailer is not listed in the pull-down menu on the online form, you'll need to complete the paper application form.
  • In 2018–2019, the Family Energy Rebate gives eligible electricity account holders a credit on an energy bill of up to $180.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Planning & Environment.

Apply online

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: