The NSW Medical Energy Rebate helps eligible concession cardholders pay their electricity bills. It is for people who are not able to, or have someone living with them who is not able to, self-regulate their body temperature in extreme environmental temperatures (hot or cold). 

For retail customers, the NSW Medical Energy Rebate is $285 per retail (on-market) household, per financial year.

If you are a retail (on-market) customer, you need to contact your electricity retailer to apply.

If you are an embedded network (on-supply) electricity customer, apply for the Medical Energy Rebate (on-supply).

Note: Embedded network (‘on-supply') means your electricity is supplied by an embedded network – such as in a residential community, retirement village or strata scheme – and you receive your electricity bill or invoice from the strata manager or community/village operator. If you’re not sure whether you're an on-supply customer, contact the electricity provider named on your electricity bill.


You may be eligible if you live in NSW and all of the following apply:

  • You have an electricity account for your home in NSW.
  • You are the account holder (the account and bill must be in your name).
  • You hold one of the following cards:
    • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • Health Care Card issued by Services Australia, or
    • DVA Veteran Gold Card.
  • You or someone living with you: 
    • is not able to self-regulate body temperature
    • is assessed by a registered medical practitioner (GP or specialist) who has been treating you or the person for at least 3 months, and
    • meets at least one Primary Qualifying Condition and at least one Secondary Qualifying Condition.

Note: A medical practitioner cannot provide an assessment if they are also the applicant.

What you need

You will need:

How retail customers can apply

  1. Complete the 'applicant' and 'patient' sections in the NSW Medical Energy Rebate Retail Customer Application.
  2. Ask your medical practitioner to complete the 'medical practitioner' sections.
  3. Contact your electricity retailer to submit your form.

More information

  • If you've been treated by different doctors from the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) for at least 3 months, you may still be eligible for the rebate.
  • Retail customers receive the rebate as a daily credit on each electricity bill, up to a total of $285 per year. The amount is calculated from the day you call your retailer and apply.
  • If you change your electricity retailer, you will need to submit a new, signed application form to your new provider, to continue to receive the rebate.
  • A household can only receive one NSW Medical Energy Rebate each financial year.
  • You can only receive the rebate for your principal place of residence.
  • If you receive the Medical Energy Rebate you may also be eligible for the NSW Low Income Household Rebate or the NSW Gas Rebate.


Medical declaration

Application form

Last updated: 2 July 2024

Rate the information on the page