Text size


The Low Income Household Rebate helps low income NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills. It is paid once each financial year.

Check the eligibility requirements to see if you can apply.


You can apply for the Low Income Household Energy Rebate if:

  • you're a NSW resident
  • you're an account holder of an energy retailer
  • you hold one of the following:
    • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) or Services Australia
    • Health Care Card issued by Services Australia, or
    • DVA Gold Card marked with either 'War Widow' or 'War Widower Pension', or 'Totally and Permanently Incapacitated' (TPI) or 'Disability Pension' (EDA).

If you're an on supply customer and receive your energy bill from the strata manager or community/village operator, please visit Apply for the Low Income Household Rebate (on supply customers)

What you need

Your concession card or Health Care Card details.

How to apply

  1. Call your energy provider.
  2. Provide your concession card or Health Care Card details.
  3. Ask for the NSW Low Income Household Rebate to be applied to your account.
  4. Request confirmation that the rebate has been applied.

More information

  • You'll receive the rebate as a credit on each quarterly energy bill, up to a total of $285.00/year. The amount is calculated daily from the day you call your retailer and apply.
  • The energy account holder must hold one of the valid concession cards.
  • If you change energy providers, tell them you receive the rebate so you can continue to receive it.
  • A household can only receive one Low Income Household Rebate each financial year.
  • The rebate is only applied to your principal place of residence.
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.
Last updated: 12 March 2020