The NSW Family Energy Rebate helps people with dependent children pay their electricity bills.
The NSW Family Energy Rebate is up to $198 per embedded network (on-supply) household, per financial year.
You will also receive a one-off $500 National Energy Bill Relief Household Payment in financial year 2023-24 if:
- you meet the eligibility criteria
- your application for the NSW Family Energy Rebate is successful
- your household has not already received the National Energy Bill Relief Household Payment.
If you are an embedded network (on-supply) electricity customer, you apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate by post.
If you are a retail (on-market) customer, you can apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate online.
- Embedded network (‘on-supply') means your electricity is supplied by an embedded network – such as in a residential community, retirement village or strata scheme – and you receive your electricity bill or invoice from the strata manager or community/village operator. If you’re not sure whether you're an on-supply customer, contact the electricity provider named on your electricity bill.
- Applications for the 2023-24 NSW Family Energy Rebate will close at 11pm on Sunday 16 June 2024.
You may be eligible if you live in NSW and all of the following apply:
- you have an electricity account for your home in NSW
- you're the account holder (the account and bill must be in your name)
- you received the Family Tax Benefit in the previous financial year and you have:
- lodged your tax return for the last financial year with the Australian Tax Office (ATO), and
- finalised your entitlement to the Family Tax Benefit payments with Centrelink.
What you need
- the confirmation letter from Services Australia that your Family Tax Benefit has been finalised for the last financial year
- your Services Australia Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- a printed (not hand-written) copy of your latest energy bill which must have:
- your name and address printed on it
- the most recent meter reading dates for your household (taken after 1 July in the current financial year and less than 3 months old).
Note: Services Australia cannot finalise your Family Tax Benefit until your tax return has been lodged. If you did not need to lodge a tax return, you need to notify Services Australia.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form.
- Attach a copy of your most recent energy bill.
- Post your application to NSW Energy Rebates, PO Box 435, Parramatta NSW 2124.
- You will receive the rebate as a lump-sum payment of $198 (or $22 if you receive the NSW Low Income Household Rebate (on supply customers).
- You can only receive the rebate for your principal place of residence.
- A household can only receive one NSW Family Energy Rebate each financial year.
- Invoices must be printed unless:
- they have been prepared from a branded invoice book
- the supplier does not have the capacity to provide printed invoices.