When applying for a NSW firearms licence, a business, club or government agency must nominate a licence holder or, if the business is a corporation, a 'nominated person'.
The nominated licence holder or person must complete the application on behalf of the business, club or government agency.
Evidence of a genuine reason for the possession and use of a firearm must be provided.
There can be more than one genuine reason on a firearms licence, and the genuine reason(s) will determine:
- the category of licence issued
- the type of firearm(s) authorised for possession and use.
Firearms licences are issued for either a 2-year or 5-year term.
A fee is attached to this application. Fee exemptions are only applicable to businesses with the genuine reason of primary production.
The nominated licence holder or person must be a resident of NSW and:
- at least 18 years of age
- be a fit and proper person to have access to firearms
- have successfully completed a firearms safety training course applicable to the type of firearm licence they're applying for
- be able to justify the genuine reason for possessing or using a firearm.
What you need
The nominated licence holder or person will need:
- a MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force
- a copy of their firearms safety awareness certificate or pistol safe handling certificate
- details of the address(s) where they'll safely store the firearms
- documentation to support each genuine reason/category
- a current credit card for payment (if applicable).
In addition, depending on their genuine reason(s):
- if they’re applying for a licence over and above a category A firearms licence, they may need to provide:
- evidence that a ‘special need’ exists for a category B,C,D or H licence
- the reason(s) why the special need cannot be met by using another category of firearm.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
- Log into, or sign up for, a MyServiceNSW Account.
- Link to the NSW Police Force.
- Complete the online application form.
- Upload all supporting documentation.
- Enter the payment details (if requested).
- Read and confirm the declaration.
- Review and submit the application.
- Fee exemptions can be claimed during the online process for primary producers whose sole genuine reason for their licence is primary production.
- It is an offence to store firearms at premises where no-one resides. Please refer to the following Safe Storage FACT sheets for more information:
- Once the application has been submitted, there's a mandatory 28-day cooling off period during which thorough background checks on the nominated licence holder or person will be conducted.