When applying for a NSW firearms licence, a business, club or government agency must nominate a licence holder or, if the business is a corporation, a 'nominated person'.
The nominated licence holder or person must complete the application on behalf of the business, club or government agency.
Evidence of a genuine reason for the possession and use of a firearm must be provided.
There can be more than one genuine reason on a firearms licence, and the genuine reason(s) will determine:
- the category of licence issued
- the type of firearm(s) authorised for possession and use.
Firearms licences are issued for either a 2-year or 5-year term.
A fee is attached to this application. Fee exemptions are only applicable to businesses with the genuine reason of primary production.
What you'll need
The nominated licence holder or person will need:
- a MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force
- a copy of their firearms safety awareness certificate or pistol safe handling certificate
- details of the address(s) where they'll safely store the firearms
- documentation to support each genuine reason/category
- a current credit card for payment (if applicable).
In addition, depending on their genuine reason(s):
- if they’re applying for a licence over and above a category A firearms licence, they may need to provide:
- evidence that a ‘special need’ exists for a category B,C,D or H licence
- the reason(s) why the special need cannot be met by using another category of firearm.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
- Log into, or sign up for, a MyServiceNSW Account.
- Link to the NSW Police Force.
- Complete the online application form.
- Upload all supporting documentation.
- Enter the payment details (if requested).
- Read and confirm the declaration.
- Review and submit the application.
The nominated licence holder or person must be a resident of NSW and:
- at least 18 years of age
- be a fit and proper person to have access to firearms
- have successfully completed a firearms safety training course applicable to the type of firearm licence they're applying for
- be able to justify the genuine reason for possessing or using a firearm.
Things to keep in mind...
- Fee exemptions can be claimed during the online process for primary producers whose sole genuine reason for their licence is primary production.
- It is an offence to store firearms at premises where no-one resides. Please refer to the following Safe Storage FACT sheets for more information:
- Once the application has been submitted, there's a mandatory 28-day cooling off period during which thorough background checks on the nominated licence holder or person will be conducted.