A blasting explosives user licence (BEUL) allows you to purchase, possess, use, transport, dispose of, and if approved, store and manufacture explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances (SSDS).

The BEUL is valid for 5 years and permits a daily usage of:

  • 50 kilograms of blasting explosives (including boosters)
  • 500 detonators
  • 1000 metres of detonator cord
  • 100 kilograms of ammonium nitrate.

You'll need to apply for storage approval on your BEUL, if you'll be storing quantities overnight of more than:

  • 2.5 kilograms of blasting explosives
  • 125 detonators
  • 500 metres of detonator cord
  • 50 kilograms of ammonium nitrate.

If you're wanting to store explosives or SSDS longer than overnight, in quantities above the daily usage quota, or at more than one site, you'll need to apply for a licence to store explosives or SSDS


You must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • hold a security clearance
  • have the relevant qualifications, experience and knowledge
  • have a legitimate reason for needing the BEUL
  • have no condition that might impair your ability to operate as a blasting explosives user, such as colour blindness, deafness, epilepsy.

What you need

  • the application fee
  • your reason for requesting a BEUL
  • statement from a medical practitioner
  • your proof of identity (100 points, as detailed on the application form)
  • your security clearance (SC) licence details, or complete a security clearance licence application
  • JP certified copies, and details of, interstate explosives licence/s (if applicable)
  • certified copies of qualifications issued by a registered training organisation (civil classes)
  • reference from a licence holder verifying your experience in the nominated class (civil classes)
  • original letter from the Planning & Environment, Resources and Geoscience endorsing your qualifications and experience in the nominated class (mining classes)
  • a security plan and map indicating the storage location of the explosives (if applicable)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for a blasting explosive user licence'.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button. 
  2. Complete and sign the form.
  3. Collect all the required documentation including the material and payment needed for your SC application (if applicable).
  4. Lodge your application with payment, at your nearest Australia Post office.

More information

  • If you're lodging your application for an SC licence at the same time, it will have to be approved before your BEUL application will be processed.
  • The SC licence was previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL).
  • As a licence holder, you must:
    • notify SafeWork NSW at least 7 days before using explosives
    • ensure that only people with a valid security clearance have access to explosives or SSDS
    • comply with the requirements of your licence and the explosives legislation or the licence may be suspended or cancelled.
Last updated: 28 November 2023