If you want to store explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances (SSDS), you'll need to apply for a licence.

The licence is valid for 5 years and only allows you to purchase, possess and store the materials specified on the licence.

The licence can be issued to you or to a nominated person on behalf of a company.


You're eligible if you:

  • are 18 years old or over
  • hold a security clearance
  • have the relevant qualifications, experience and knowledge
  • have a legitimate reason for needing to store explosives and/or SSDS.

What you need

  • access to a printer
  • your personal and contact details
  • corporation details (if applicable)
  • the application fee
  • your reason/s for requesting a licence
  • your proof of identity (100 points, as detailed on the application form)
  • your security clearance (SC) licence details, or complete a security clearance licence application
  • statement outlining your experience and knowledge in:
    • the safe handling, storage and transport of explosives and SSDS
    • Australian Explosives Code
    • Australian Dangerous Goods Code
    • Australian Standards AS2187 and/or AS4326
  • training and qualifications (if applicable)
  • details of interstate explosives licence/s (if applicable)
  • site and storage details
  • details of the explosives or SSDS to be stored
  • emergency contact's details, and emergency plan (if applicable)
  • a security plan and map indicating the storage location of the explosives
  • the PDF form – 'Application for a licence to store explosives and/or SSDS'.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button. 
  2. Complete, print and sign the form.
  3. Collect all the required documentation including the material and payment needed for your SC application (if applicable).
  4. Lodge your application with payment, at your nearest Australia Post office.

More information

  • The nominated person for a company must be involved in the management of the company. If that person ceases to be the nominated person, for example if they resign, the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within 7 days.
  • If you're lodging your application for an SC licence at the same time, it will have to be approved before your storage application will be processed.
  • The SC licence was previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL).
  • If you're storing hazardous chemicals you must notify SafeWork NSW.
  • As a licence holder, you must:
    • ensure that only people with a valid security clearance have access to explosives or SSDS
    • comply with the requirements of your licence and the explosives legislation or the licence may be suspended or cancelled
    • notify SafeWork NSW within 14 days if there are any changes to your licence or contact details, or changes to the quantity and location of the explosives or SSDS.
Last updated: 13 February 2024