You need a high risk work (HRW) licence if you intend to work with any of the following:

  • cranes
  • forklifts
  • hoists
  • pressure equipment
  • reach stackers
  • scaffolding
  • dogging
  • rigging.

An HRW licence is valid for 5 years and can be used in any Australian state or territory.


To be eligible for an HRW licence, you need to:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • have completed HRW training with a registered training organisation (RTO) in the appropriate class of high risk work
  • have been assessed as competent in the class by a SafeWork NSW accredited assessor working for the RTO
  • be able to use English at a level that enables high risk work to be carried out safely.

What you need

  • the following forms provided by your assessor:
    • the 'Application for a national licence to perform high risk work – New application' form
    • the original orange and white copy of your Notice of Satisfactory Assessment (NSA)
  • proof of identity – see Evidence of identity – PDF
  • a passport-quality photograph with your name, date of birth and signature on the back (verified by your assessor)
  • your current HRW licence (if you have one)
  • your payment.

How to apply

You must apply within 60 days from the date of issue of your NSA.

  1. Complete the application form provided by your assessor, but do not sign it.
  2. Gather together:
    • the orange and white NSA
    • the identity documents and photograph your assessor verified
    • your unsigned application form
    • your current HRW licence (if applicable)
    • your method of payment.
  3. Select the 'Find an Australia Post office' button.
  4. Select 'More services' and filter by:
    • 'Identity and document services'
    • 'Licence to perform high risk work – NSW (New and Renewal)'.
  5. Visit your chosen Post Office and lodge your application.

More information

  • If you make a mistake when filling out the application form, ask your assessor for another form or call 13 10 50.
  • You should receive your licence within 4 weeks.
  • You can use the pink copy of your NSA while you wait for your licence, provided you lodged your application within 60 days of the NSA being issued.
  • You can follow the same training and assessment process to add a new class of work to your existing HRW licence.
  • High risk work licences last for 5 years. Any classes you add later will expire when your licence expires.
  • Under the NSW Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017 high risk work requires a licence. Always carry your HRW licence with you when you're at work. 
  • Once your licence has been issued, you can access it digitally through the Service NSW app.
Last updated: 23 April 2024