If you hold a Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Veteran Gold Card or DVA Gold Health Card, you can apply for a gold Opal card.

The gold Opal card gives you unlimited travel for no more than $2.50 a day, on public transport services across the following regions:


You must:

  • be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • reside permanently in NSW
  • hold a Veteran Gold Card or Gold Health Card issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

What you need

  • your personal and contact details 
  • your DVA file number
  • your DVA unique identification number (UIN), if applicable.

Note: Your name, date of birth and residential address must match the records held by the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button. 
  3. Select 'Veterans Concession' as the entitlement type.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete and submit the online application. 

More information

  • After your eligibility is confirmed, your gold Opal card will be mailed to you within 8 to 10 working days.
  • Your Gold Opal card isn't proof of entitlement. You must always carry your DVA Gold Card when travelling.
  • Your DVA Gold card entitles you to:
    • $2.50 all day travel with the Regional Excursion Daily ticket on local buses
    • $2.50 all day travel with the Country Pensioner Excursion ticket for booked NSW TrainLink Regional services
    • concession fares when you travel on interstate train services
    • For Veteran Gold Cards marked 'war widow' only, 4 single or 2 return free or discounted trips within NSW annually with Pensioner Travel Vouchers on NSW TrainLink Regional services.
Last updated: 28 November 2023