Text size


The Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) provides parking concessions to people with mobility disability.

There are 2 types of permit issued by Transport for NSW (TfNSW):

  • individual (blue card) – issued for 5 years if you have permanent disability
  • temporary (red card) – issued for up to 6 months if you have a temporary disability. 

An Australian Disability Parking permit (large purple card) is also issued by TfNSW and must be displayed with your MPS permit to get parking concessions.

If you are eligible and TfNSW has your photo on file, you will be able to apply for, replace, or renew a 5-year MPS permit, online.

Note: The photo that TfNSW has on file must have been taken within 10.5 years of when your new, renewed or replaced permit will expire. If it is older than that, you'll need to visit a Service NSW Centre.

Concessions on the cost of the MPS permit are available for eligible customers.


  • To be eligible, you need to have mobility disability, which is defined by legislation as someone:
    • unable to walk due to the permanent or temporary loss of use of one or both legs, or other permanent medical or physical condition
    • whose physical condition is detrimentally affected as a result of walking 100 metres, or
    • who requires the use of crutches, a walking frame, callipers, scooter, wheelchair or other similar mobility aid.
  • You're also eligible if you're permanently blind.

Note: Applicants who have an intellectual, psychiatric or cognitive impairment must meet at least one of the eligibility criteria above in order to be considered eligible.

You may be eligible for a concession on an MPS permit if you:

  • hold one of the following:
    • NSW Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • DVA Gold Card endorsed with: 
      • TPI (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
      • EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
      • war widow/er.
  • have evidence from the DVA confirming:
    • you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher or an intermediate pension, or
    • you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points.
  • are under 16 years of age and:
    • hold a Centrelink Health Care Card
    • are named as a dependant on a PCC issued by Centrelink.

What you need

Proof of identity

Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • ImmiCard.

How to apply

Apply online

  1. Check the eligibility criteria.
  2. Gather all the required documents and have them ready for uploading.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
    Note: You cannot save and resume your application once you have started.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Follow the prompts to apply, replace or renew.

Your application will be reviewed and we'll contact you if we need to:

  • process your payment, or
  • request that you visit a service centre to complete your application.

Your permits will be posted to you. If you have not received them after 2 weeks, please call us on 13 77 88.

Apply in person at a service centre

Visit a service centre with the completed application form and your proof of identity documents if:

  • you need your application processed straight away
  • you have a photo exemption
  • the photo that TfNSW has on file is not recent enough.

More information

Photo exemptions

You're automatically exempt if you're under 16, and you can request a photo exemption if you have any of the following:

  • motor disability so severe that it stops you from attending a service centre
  • facial disfigurement
  • inadequate muscular control to meet photo requirements
  • mobility restricted by medical equipment.

If any of the above apply, send a letter of request along with a completed application form and a supporting letter from your doctor, to:

Team Leader, DRIVES Assurance
Transport for NSW
PO Box 3035
Parramatta NSW 2124

If you're approved to not have your photo taken, you'll be sent a letter of exemption, which you or your representative will need to bring to a service centre.

Authorised representatives

The only time that a representative may attend a service centre to apply for an MPS permit on behalf of another person, is when a photo exemption has been issued.

Fitness to drive

If you're required to undertake a driving assessment, please refer to Book a driver or rider licence test.

Payment methods

If we require a payment from you, we'll contact you when your application is being reviewed. Payment in person or over the phone will be accepted.

Last updated: 27 April 2023