Back to top

Builders and tradespeople in NSW need to be licensed to do building work where the total cost of labour and materials is more than $5,000.

Individuals may have their contractor licence endorsed with a Q and this indicates that the licence is also equivalent to a Qualified Supervisor Certificate.

Certain trades require a specialist contractor licence:

  • air conditioning and refrigeration
  • electrical
  • disconnection and reconnection of fixed electrical equipment
  • plumbing, draining and gasfitting

A list of trades and the licence type required can be found on the Fair Trading website.

Licence applications must be lodged at a service centre, and you can book an appointment online.

Book an appointment
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Checklist for Individuals' (based on the category of work you're applying for)
    • 'Application Form - Individual'
    • 'Additional Details Form/s' (if applicable)
  • proof of identity
  • one passport size photograph
  • documentation that meets the qualification requirements (certificates and transcripts from the registered training organisation)
  • your referee's statement (if applicable)
  • certificate of eligibility to obtain insurance (if applicable)
  • your payment.
Book an appointment
  1. Download and complete:
  2. Gather the required supporting documentation.
  3. Select the 'Book an appointment' button.
  4. Choose your service centre.
  5. Schedule your appointment.
  6. Enter the required details.
  7. Attend your appointment with your application documents and payment.
Book an appointment
  • You're legally required to display your licence number on all advertising, stationery and signage.

The following classes of contractor licences are issued to individuals and company/partnerships:

1) Building

  • general building
  • erection of pre-fabricated metal-framed home additions and structures
  • kitchen/bathroom/laundry renovation
  • structural landscaping
  • swimming pool building.

2) Trade

  • advanced LP gasfitting
  • air conditioning
  • bricklaying
  • carpentry
  • decorating
  • disconnection/reconnection fixed electrical equipment
  • draining
  • dry plastering
  • electrical
  • excavation
  • fencing
  • gasfitting
  • general concreting
  • glazing
  • joining
  • LP gasfitting
  • metal fabrication
  • minor maintenance/cleaning
  • minor tradework
  • painting
  • plumbing
  • refrigeration
  • roof plumbing
  • roof slating
  • roof tiling
  • stonemasonry
  • swimming pool repairs and servicing
  • underpinning and piering
  • wall and floor tiling
  • water plumbing
  • waterproofing
  • wet plastering

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.

Book an appointment

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: