Builders and tradespeople in NSW need to be licensed to do building work where the total cost of labour and materials is more than $5,000.
Individuals may have their contractor licence endorsed with a Q and this indicates that the licence is also equivalent to a Qualified supervisor certificate.
Certain trades require a specialist contractor licence:
- air conditioning and refrigeration
- disconnection and reconnection of fixed electrical equipment
- plumbing, draining and gasfitting
- medical gas.
A list of trades and the licence type required can be found on the Fair Trading website.
Licence applications must be lodged at a service centre, and you can book an appointment online.
What you need
- the PDF forms:
- 'Checklist for Individuals' (based on the category of work you're applying for)
- 'Application Form - Individual'
- 'Additional Details Form/s' (if applicable).
- proof of identity
- one passport size photograph
- documentation that meets the qualification requirements (certificates and transcripts from the registered training organisation)
- your referee's statement (if applicable)
- certificate of eligibility to obtain insurance (if applicable)
- your payment.
How to apply
- Download and complete:
- the relevant 'Checklist for Individuals' to ensure you have the documents required to complete the application form:
- Application Form - Individual – PDF
- Additional Details Form/s as indicated on the application form (if applicable).
- Gather the required supporting documentation.
- Select the 'Book an appointment' button.
- Choose your service centre.
- Schedule your appointment.
- Enter the required details.
- Attend your appointment with your application documents and payment.
You're legally required to display your licence number on all advertising, stationery and signage.
The following classes of contractor licences are issued to individuals and company/partnerships:
- general building
- erection of pre-fabricated metal-framed home additions and structures
- kitchen/bathroom/laundry renovation
- structural landscaping
- swimming pool building.
- general concreting
- metal fabrication
- minor maintenance/cleaning
- minor trade work
- roof plumbing
- roof slating
- roof tiling
- swimming pool repairs and servicing
- underpinning and piering
- wall and floor tiling
- water plumbing
- wet plastering.
- advanced LP gasfitting
- air conditioning
- electrical wiring
- LP gasfitting
- medical gasfitting (new regulations apply)
- medical gas technician (new regulations apply)
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.