Back to top

The Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) provides parking concessions to people with mobility disability.

If you're eligible, Roads and Maritime Services will issue you a licence-style card called an MPS permit, which will include your photo and other security features. 

There are 2 types of permit available:

  • individual (blue card) – issued for 5 years if you have permanent disability
  • temporary (red card) – issued for up to 6 months if you have a temporary disability. 

When you apply for an MPS permit in NSW, you'll also be issued an Australian Disability Parking permit (large purple card).

You must display both your MPS permit and your Australian Disability Parking permit to get parking concessions.

Find a service centre
  • your proof of identity
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your approved photo exemption letter (if applicable)
  • a supporting letter from your child's doctor (if applicable)
  • your payment (if applicable)
  • the PDF form – 'Mobility Parking Scheme Application (Individual and Temporary Permits)'.
Find a service centre
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Mobility Parking Scheme Application (Individual and Temporary Permits) – PDF including the section filled in by your doctor.
  3. Gather all the required documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.
Find a service centre
  • To be eligible, you need to be at least 3 years old and have mobility disability, which is defined by legislation as someone:
    • unable to walk due to the permanent or temporary loss of use of one or both legs, or other permanent medical or physical condition
    • whose physical condition is detrimentally affected as a result of walking 100 metres, or
    • who requires the use of crutches, a walking frame, callipers, scooter, wheelchair or other similar mobility aid.
  • If your child is aged under 3 years and there are exceptional circumstances (for example, they need an oxygen tank), they may also be eligible. You'll need to include a supporting letter from your child's doctor when you submit your application.
  • You're also eligible if you're permanently blind.
Find a service centre

When you apply for or renew an MPS permit, your card will be posted to you. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.

Photo requirements

When you first apply for an MPS permit, you'll need to visit a service centre and have your photo taken for the permit.

If you're under 16, or if you qualify for a photo exemption, you can send someone else to the service centre to apply for the permit for you.

If you're applying for a permit for someone else, you'll need to provide your own proof of identity as well as the proof of identity of the person applying for the permit.

Photo exemptions

You're automatically exempt if you're under 16, and you can request a photo exemption if you have any of the following:

  • motor disability so severe that it stops you from attending a service centre
  • facial disfigurement
  • inadequate muscular control to meet photo requirements
  • mobility restricted by medical equipment.

If any of the above apply, send a letter of request along with a completed application form and a supporting letter from your doctor, to:

The Manager, Customer Liaison & Document Verification
Roads and Maritime Services
PO Box 3035
Parramatta NSW 2124

If you're approved to not have your photo taken, you'll be sent a letter of exemption, which you or your representative will need to bring to the service centre.

Fitness to drive

If you hold a NSW driver or rider licence when you apply for an MPS permit, your medical fitness to drive will be tested and you'll need to provide a medical report to Roads and Maritime Services.

If you don't want to provide a medical report to support your medical fitness to drive, you can either withdraw your application for an MPS permit, or you can surrender your NSW driver or rider licence.

Find a service centre

Payment methods

For online or phone transactions, you can pay with:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre, you can pay with:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: