If you have a medical condition or disability that affects your mobility or vision, you may be eligible for a Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) permit.  

The permit lets you park in disability parking spaces. You can also park at no charge and for longer time periods in some parking areas. 

There are 2 types of permits issued by Transport for NSW (TfNSW):  

  • individual (blue card) – issued for 5 years if you have a permanent disability  

  • temporary (red card) – issued for up to 6 months if you have a temporary disability.

You may be eligible to apply for, replace or renew online if:

  • you have a photo exemption, or
  • TfNSW has your photo on file (for example, driver licence photo). The photo must have been taken within 10.5 years of when your new permit will expire.  

Example: Your photo was taken 7 years ago, and a blue card is issued for 5 years. This is more than 10.5 years so you’ll need to have a new photo taken at a Service NSW Centre. 

You'll need to visit a service centre if any of the following applies:  

  • you need your application processed straight away

  • you do not have a TfNSW customer number

  • the photo on file with TfNSW is too old, or you're unsure how old it is

  • there is no photo on file and you do not have an exemption.

If you have a photo exemption but cannot apply online, someone you know can represent you at a service centre. They will need to show their proof of identity as well as yours.


You may be eligible for a permit if any of the following applies:  

  • you cannot walk because of permanent or temporary loss of use of one or both legs, or other permanent medical or physical condition  
  • your physical condition is detrimentally affected as a result of walking 100 metres
  • you need to use crutches, a walking frame, callipers, scooter, wheelchair or other similar mobility aid
  • you are permanently blind.

Note: Applicants who have an intellectual, psychiatric or cognitive impairment must meet at least one of the eligibility criteria above in order to be considered eligible.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account (if you apply online) – you can create one when you start your application
    Note: The MyServiceNSW Account must be the applicant's, not the representative's.
  • the completed Mobility Parking Scheme Application – PDF
  • proof of identity documents 
    • If you apply in person at a service centre, see what you need to provide.
      Note: If using your Medicare card, it must be the plastic card, not the digital version. 
    • If you apply online with your MyServiceNSW Account, you may need the details of 2 identity documents such as Australian driver licence, Medicare card, or Australian passport.
  • Pensioner Concession Card, Veterans Gold Card, or Centrelink Health Card details for a fee concession (if applicable).
  • letter of photo exemption (if applicable).

How to apply

Apply online  

  1. Check the eligibility criteria.  
  2. Gather the required documents and have them ready for uploading (as a PDF, JPG, JPEG, or PNG file).
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
    Note: You cannot save and resume your application once you have started.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.  
  5. Follow the prompts to apply, replace or renew an MPS permit.  

Your application will be reviewed, and we'll contact you if we need to process your payment or you need to visit a service centre.  

Your permits will be posted to you. If you have not received them after 2 weeks, please call us on 13 77 88.  

In person at a service centre

  1. Check the eligibility criteria.
  2. Gather the required documents, including:  
    1. the completed MPS application form  
    2. your proof of identity documents (the originals) 
    3. letter for photo exemption (if applicable)
    4. certified copy of a Power of Attorney (if applicable). 
  3. Visit a service centre to submit your application. 

More information

Photo exemption

You're automatically exempt if you're under 16. You can request a photo exemption if any of the following applies to you: 

  • facial disfigurement 

  • inadequate muscular control to meet photo requirements 

  • mostly bedridden due to advanced age or terminal illness 

  • severe disability that stops you from attending a service centre 

  • mobility restricted by medical equipment. 

To apply for a photo exemption, send a letter of request along with a completed application form and a supporting letter from your doctor, to: 

DRIVES Assurance 
Transport for NSW 
PO Box 3035 
Parramatta NSW 2124 

If approved, you'll be sent a letter of exemption.

TfNSW customer number

You'll need to visit a service centre in person if you do not have a TfNSW customer number. You'll have a customer number if you have any of the following:

  • an MPS permit previously issued
  • NSW driver or rider licence
  • a TfNSW issued photo card (for example, NSW Photo Card)
  • vehicle registered in NSW.

Power of Attorney

If someone you know is representing you at a service centre (to renew or replace your card), and you do not need a photo exemption, they should bring:

  •  the original or certified copy of the Power of Attorney document
  • their own proof of identity documents as well as yours. 

The powers described in the Power of Attorney document will need to cover transactions of this kind.

Displaying your permit

When you get an MPS permit, you'll also be issued an Australian Disability Parking permit (large purple card). You must display both permits to get parking concessions.

If your permit holder is lost or damaged, you can get a replacement free of charge at a service centre.

Where you can use your permit

See where you can use a mobility parking permit.

Last updated: 6 March 2024

Rate the information on the page