Text size


If you run a motor vehicle repair business in NSW, you need a motor vehicle repairer licence. Anyone working as a tradesperson in your business must also have a tradesperson certificate for the relevant classes of work.

You can apply for a 1-year, 3-year or 5-year licence online.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence as a result of a disciplinary action
  • not be a controlled member of a declared organisation
  • not have been found guilty, in the past 10 years, of a motor vehicle stealing offence
  • not be bankrupt
  • have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
  • have approval from the relevant local council.

What you need

  • nominated licence duration (1, 3 or 5 years)
  • details of whether the licence is for an individual or for a corporation
  • personal details of either the individual or business partners
  • business details, including the registered name of the business
  • ACN/ABN numbers
  • the completed PDF form – 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Log in or create an account.
  4. Complete the online form.
  5. Attach the completed 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable).
  6. Enter payment details.
  7. Submit the online form.

If you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete Application for a Licence – PDF (including the Manager's Consent Form section, if applicable).
  2. Submit your application with payment at a service centre.

More information

  • Once you're licensed as a motor vehicle repairer, you must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
  • If you’re a motor vehicle repairer, you’re required to keep records for parts in a prescribed format (Prescribed Form 2 – PDF).

You don't need a motor vehicle repairer licence if you're only working with the following kinds of vehicles:

  • crane, hoist or conveyor
  • excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery (other than a tractor), that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
  • motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
  • vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
  • vehicle that is incapable of being registered by Transport for NSW (other than a motorcycle that is an unregistrable new motor cycle, or a defective registrable vehicle).

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

You'll be taken to another website.