If you run a motor vehicle repair business in NSW, you need a motor vehicle repairer licence. Anyone working as a tradesperson in your business must also have a tradesperson certificate for the relevant classes of work.
You can apply for a 1-year or 3-year licence, online.
What you'll need
- nominated licence duration (1 or 3 years)
- details of whether the licence is for an individual or for a corporation
- personal details of either the individual or business partners
- business details, including the registered name of the business
- ACN/ABN numbers
- the completed PDF form – 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable)
- your payment.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Sign into or create your OneGov account.
- Complete the online form.
- Attach the completed 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable).
- Enter payment details.
- Submit the online form.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete Application for a Licence – PDF (including the Manager's Consent Form section, if applicable).
- Submit your application with payment at a service centre.
- be at least 18 years of age
- be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
- not be disqualified from holding a licence as a result of a disciplinary action
- not be a controlled member of a declared organisation
- not have been found guilty, in the past 10 years, of a motor vehicle stealing offence
- not be bankrupt
- have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
- have approval from the relevant local council.
To make certain you have all the information you need, please visit NSW Fair Trading
Things to keep in mind...
- Once you're licensed as a motor vehicle repairer, you must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
- If you’re a motor vehicle repairer, you’re required to keep records for parts in a prescribed format (Prescribed Form 2 – PDF).
You don't need a motor vehicle repairer licence if you're only working with the following kinds of vehicles:
- crane, hoist or conveyor
- excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery (other than a tractor), that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
- motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
- vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
- vehicle that is incapable of being registered by Roads and Maritime Services (other than a motorcycle that is an unregistrable new motor cycle, or a defective registrable vehicle).