You’ll need a motor vehicle tradesperson certificate if you do repair work on motor vehicles, even if you hold a motor vehicle repairer licence. You must be qualified and certified for all classes of repair work you do.
You can apply online for a 1, 3 or 5-year licence.
To apply, you must:
- be a fit and proper person to hold a licence
- have the required qualifications for each class of repair work
- not be an apprentice or trainee.
The classes of repair work include:
- automotive electrician
- body maker
- compressed natural gas mechanic
- electrical accessory fitting
- exhaust repair
- glazing work
- liquefied natural gas mechanic
- liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
- motor mechanic
- motorcycle mechanic
- panel beater
- radiator repair
- steering, suspension and wheel alignment
- transmission specialist
- underbody work
- vehicle painter.
What you need
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the ‘Apply online' button.
- Log in or create an account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for a certificate.
If you're not able to apply online:
- Download and complete the Motor vehicle tradesperson certificate application – PDF.
- Visit a Service NSW Centre with: