You’ll need a motor vehicle tradesperson certificate if you do repair work on motor vehicles, even if you hold a motor vehicle repairer licence. You must be qualified and certified for all classes of repair work you do.

You can apply online for a 1, 3 or 5-year licence.


To apply, you must:

  • be a fit and proper person to hold a licence
  • have the required qualifications for each class of repair work
  • not be an apprentice or trainee.

The classes of repair work include:

  • automotive electrician
  • body maker
  • compressed natural gas mechanic
  • electrical accessory fitting
  • exhaust repair
  • glazing work
  • liquefied natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
  • motor mechanic
  • motorcycle mechanic
  • panel beater
  • radiator repair
  • steering, suspension and wheel alignment
  • transmission specialist
  • underbody work
  • vehicle painter.

What you need

How to apply

  1. Select the ‘Apply online' button.
  2. Log in or create an account.
  3. Follow the prompts to apply for a certificate.

If you're not able to apply online:

  1. Download and complete the Motor vehicle tradesperson certificate application – PDF.
  2. Visit a Service NSW Centre with:

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 4 July 2024

Rate the information on the page