If your business includes the buying, selling or exchanging of motor vehicles, including cars, trailers, motorcycles and caravans, you'll need a motor dealer licence.
You can apply for a 1-year, 3-year or 5-year licence, online.
- be at least 18 years of age
- be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
- not be disqualified from holding a licence as a result of a disciplinary action
- not be a controlled member of a declared organisation
- not have been found guilty, in the past 10 years, of a motor vehicle stealing offence
- not be bankrupt
- have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
- have approval from the relevant local council.
What you need
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Follow the prompts to apply for your licence.
If you're unable to apply online:
- A corporation must nominate an individual to be manager of the day-to-day business of the licensee. An individual may manage the business themselves or nominate another individual to manage the business.
- Where there is more than one manager, a separate Manager’s Consent Form must be completed for each manager.
- Once you're licensed as a motor dealer, you must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
- You don't need a motor dealer licence for the following kinds of vehicles:
- vehicles not acquired for the transport of goods or passengers on public roads (such as agricultural equipment)
- vehicles with a mass over 4.5 tonnes (these are covered by the Heavy Vehicle National Law)
- vehicles that are not capable of being registered in NSW, such as quad bikes, Segways, motorised wheelchairs and battery powered bikes.