If your business includes the buying, selling or exchanging of motor vehicles, including cars, trailers, motorcycles and caravans, you'll need a motor dealer licence.

You can apply online for an individual or corporation licence. You can choose a a 1-year, 3-year or 5-year licence.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence as a result of a disciplinary action
  • not be a controlled member of a declared organisation
  • not have been found guilty, in the past 10 years, of a motor vehicle stealing offence
  • not be bankrupt
  • have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
  • have approval from the relevant local council.

What you need

  • nominated licence duration (1, 3 or 5 years)
  • personal and contact details of either the individual or business partners
  • business details, including the registered name of the business
  • ACN/ABN number 
  • the completed PDF form – 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Follow the prompts to apply for your licence.

If you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete the Application for a Licence form (including the Manager's Consent Form section, if applicable).
  2. Submit your application with payment at a Service NSW Centre.

More information

  • A corporation must nominate an individual to be manager of the day-to-day business of the licensee. An individual may manage the business themselves or nominate another individual to manage the business.
  • Where there is more than one manager, a separate Manager’s Consent Form must be completed for each manager.
  • Once you're licensed as a motor dealeryou must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
  • You don't need a motor dealer licence for the following kinds of vehicles:
    • vehicles not acquired for the transport of goods or passengers on public roads (such as agricultural equipment)
    • vehicles with a mass over 4.5 tonnes (these are covered by the Heavy Vehicle National Law)
    • vehicles that are not capable of being registered in NSW, such as quad bikes, Segways, motorised wheelchairs and battery powered bikes.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 8 December 2023