Back to top

A NSW Photo Card can be used as photo identification if you don't have a NSW Driver Licence. It has the same application process and security features as the driver licence, and should be accepted as identification everywhere a driver licence is recognised.

You can hold both a driver licence and a Photo Card if you wish, and use the Photo Card to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.

Visit a service centre and apply in person for your Photo Card, and if you apply for or renew your driving licence at the same time, you'll pay a reduced fee.

Note: There are also concessions for pensioners and carers.

Find a service centre
  • the PDF form – 'NSW Photo Card Application'
  • if you don't have a NSW Driver Licence or your expired Photo Card, you'll need:
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your payment (if applicable).
Find a service centre
  1. Download and complete the NSW Photo Card Application – PDF.
  2. Gather your driving licence or expired Photo Card, or the necessary identity documents.
  3. Visit a service centre to have your photo taken, and submit your application.
Find a service centre

You must be:

  • a NSW resident
  • aged 16 years or over
  • able to provide acceptable proof of identity documents.

You may be eligible for a free NSW Photo Card if you have one of the following:

  • eligible concessions:
    • NSW Seniors Card
    • NSW Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • DVA Gold card endorsed with: 
    • TPI (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
    • EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
    • war widow/er.
  • evidence from the DVA confirming:
    • you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher or an intermediate pension, or
    • you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points.
  • receive the Centrelink Carer Allowance.
Find a service centre
  • If you apply for a Photo Card at the same time as you apply for, or renew, your driver licence, you'll pay a reduced fee for the Photo Card.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but if you don't have any other kind of photo identification, you may find it useful. It is valid for 5 years (or 10 years for eligible customers aged 21 and over).
  • If you haven’t received your Photo Card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
Find a service centre

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: