A NSW Photo Card may be used as photo identification if you don't have a NSW Driver Licence. It has the same application process and security features as the driver licence, and may be accepted as identification in most places a driver licence is recognised.
You can hold both a driver licence and a Photo Card if you wish. You may be able to use the Photo Card to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
Visit a service centre and apply in person for your Photo Card, and if you apply for or renew your driving licence at the same time, you'll pay a reduced fee.
Note: There are also concessions for pensioners and carers.
You must be:
- a NSW resident
- aged 16 years or over
- able to provide acceptable proof of identity documents.
You may be eligible for a free NSW Photo Card if you have one of the following:
- eligible concessions:
- NSW Seniors Card
- NSW Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- DVA Gold card endorsed with:
- TPI (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
- EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
- war widow/er.
- evidence from the DVA confirming:
- you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher or an intermediate pension, or
- you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points.
- receive the Centrelink Carer Allowance.
What you need
How to apply
- Download and complete the NSW Photo Card Application – PDF.
- Gather your driving licence or expired Photo Card, or the necessary identity documents.
- Visit a service centre to have your photo taken, and submit your application.
- If you apply for a Photo Card at the same time as you apply for, or renew, your driver licence, you'll pay a reduced fee for the Photo Card.
- The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but if you don't have any other kind of photo identification, you may find it useful. It is valid for 5 years (or 10 years for eligible customers aged 21 and over).
- If you haven’t received your Photo Card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- There may be some situations where you will not be able to use a NSW Photo Card in place of a NSW Driver Licence. Always check the proof of identity requirements for details.