A pyrotechnician's licence allows you to purchase, possess, use, store and transport fireworks.

The licence is valid for 5 years and covers the following types of fireworks:

  • ground display fireworks
  • theatrical and indoor fireworks (close proximity)
  • Chinese string fireworks
  • aerial shells up to 300mm, and
  • aerial salutes up to 75 mm.

If you're wanting to use non-aerial fireworks for a single event, you can apply for a fireworks (single use) licence.


You must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • hold a security clearance
  • have the relevant qualifications, experience and knowledge.

What you need

  • access to a printer
  • your personal and contact details
  • the application fee
  • your proof of identity (100 points, as detailed on the application form)
  • your security clearance (SC) licence details, or complete a security clearance licence application
  • JP certified copies, and details of, interstate explosives licence/s, OR
  • a statutory declaration from a licence holder who has supervised you during fireworks displays (a template comes with the application form)
  • an approved witness (as specified on the form) for the statutory declaration (if applicable)
  • certified copies of qualifications issued by a registered training organisation (if applicable)
  • if you're intending to store the fireworks, a security plan and a map indicating the storage location
  • the PDF form – 'Application for pyrotechnician's licence'.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete, print and sign the form.
  3. Ensure the statutory declaration is completed and witnessed (if applicable).
  4. Collect all the required documentation including the material needed for your SC application (if applicable).
  5. Lodge your application with payment, at your nearest Australia Post office.

More information

  • If you're lodging your application for an SC licence at the same time, it will have to be approved before your pyrotechnician's licence application will be processed.
  • The SC licence was previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL).
  • As a licence holder, you must:
Last updated: 1 April 2021