If you want to tow a caravan or camper trailer on NSW roads, you must get it registered at a Service NSW Centre.
Note: When you register, if your caravan or camper trailer weighs from 255kg up to 4.5 tonnes, you'll automatically get a 40% reduction on the vehicle tax.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'Application for Registration (TfNSW)'
- your proof of identity
- a previous registration receipt or other proof of registration entitlement
- an original inspection report issued no more than 42 days prior, either:
- an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station report (blue slip), or
- a Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme report (if the vehicle has an aggregate trailer mass of more than 2 tonnes).
- a Vehicle Safety Compliance Certificate (if the vehicle has been significantly modified)
- your weighbridge ticket (if required)
- your concession card details (if applicable)
- your payment.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Application for Registration (TfNSW) – PDF.
- Gather all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and lodge your application with payment.
- A weighbridge ticket is required if:
- there is no specification sheet or the tare mass cannot be confirmed
- the trailer is imported
- there has been a major change to the trailer
- Caravans and camper trailers are exempt from stamp duty. To claim this exemption, you’ll need:
- a copy of the certificate of registration
- an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station report (blue slip) or a Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme report (if the vehicle has a total trailer mass of more than 2 tonnes).