If your vehicle has been towed from a prescribed tow-away area and you've received an invoice for the tow, you can dispute the matter online or by mail.

Transport for NSW will review the circumstances of the tow based on the information you provide.

The tow-away charge is separate to any fine that may have been issued by the Police or local council.

Note: If you were not the driver of the vehicle at the time it was towed, you must submit the online form or your dissension letter at least 7 days before the due date on the towing invoice.

What you need

  • invoice number
  • registration number
  • details about the time, date and location of the tow-away
  • the reason(s) why you believe your vehicle should not have been towed
  • driver name and licence number (if known).

Note: If you were not the driver of the vehicle you will also need to provide:

How to dispute

  1. Select the 'Dispute online' button. 
  2. Complete the online form.
  3. Upload your supporting documents including the statutory declaration and towing invoice (if applicable). 
  4. Submit your dispute request (by the due date, if applicable).

If you don't wish to apply online, you can write a letter detailing the tow-away and why you believe the event should not have occurred. Include the required information and supporting documents and post your submission to:

Debt Recovery Unit
PO Box 533
Burwood NSW 1805. 

More information

  • Submissions involving a statutory declaration must be received at least 7 days before the invoice's due date.
  • Tow-away areas include:
    • clearways
    • special event clearways
    • freeways
    • T-Way lanes
    • transit lanes
    • bus lanes.
Last updated: 6 November 2023