Text size


If your vehicle has been towed from a prescribed tow-away area and you've received an invoice for the tow, you can dispute the matter online, by email or post.

Transport for NSW will review the circumstances of the tow based on the information you provide.

The tow-away charge is separate to any fine that may have been issued by the Police or local council.

What you need

  • invoice number
  • registration number
  • driver name and address (if known)
  • details about the time, date and location of the tow-away
  • the reasons why you believe your vehicle should not have been towed.

How to dispute

  1. Select the 'Dispute online' button. 
  2. Complete the online form.
  3. Attach supporting documents (if applicable). 
  4. Submit your dispute request.

Note: If you don't want to apply online, you can write a letter detailing the tow-away and why you believe it should not have occurred. Your letter and any supporting evidence can be lodged by:

  • post to Debt Recovery Unit, PO Box 533, Burwood 1805. 

More information

Tow-away areas include:

  • clearways
  • special event clearways
  • freeways
  • T-Way lanes
  • transit lanes
  • bus lanes.
Last updated: 8 June 2021
You'll be taken to another website.