Computer-based driver knowledge tests during COVID-19
Note: While stay-at-home orders apply, residents subject to those orders who have a booking for a DKT or HPT will be contacted to reschedule their booking, regardless of where the test is booked.
Customers taking tests outside of lockdown areas may be asked to provide proof of their residential address.
The Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) is the first stage in the licensing process. You must pass the DKT to get your learner driver licence.
To practise for the DKT, you can download a PDF document that includes questions you could be asked during the DKT, or you can view a demonstration test online.
To download a DKT PDF visit Driver licensing publications, then select the 'Show files' button next to 'Driver Knowledge Test Question Banks'. PDFs are available for car, rider, and heavy vehicles.
When you're ready to take your DKT test, make a booking to visit a service centre.
Note: You may be eligible to take the DKT for free if you are:
- personnel or volunteers who'd be operating class LR, MR, HR or HC vehicles with the:
- State Emergency Service (SES)
- NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS), or
- NSW Volunteer Rescue Association (VRA).
- a participant in the Driver Licensing Access Program
- undertaking the DKT within a Correctional Centre or Juvenile Justice Centre.