Motor vehicle tradespersons certificates need to be renewed every 3 years. You can renew your certificate online, in person at a service centre, or by mail.
If you renew your certificate online you receive a discount.
Renewal of tradespersons certificates began phasing in from January 2015.
If your certificate has an expiry date, you will need to renew your licence on the anniversary month in the year it is due. For example, if your certificate expiry date is January 2015, you will need to renew by January 2019.
What you need
If renewing online, you'll need your:
- certificate number
- renewal transaction number
- personal contact details
- payment details.
If renewing in person or by mail:
- the PDF form – 'Application for Renewal Under Transitional Arrangements for a Motor Vehicle Tradesperson Certificate'
- your certificate number
- your personal and contact details
- your payment.
How to apply
If you have renewed before, you'll receive a renewal notice a month prior to your certificate's expiry. The renewal notice will include your renewal transaction number.
- Select the 'Renew online' button.
- Enter the required details.
- Pay the fee.
If you've never renewed your certificate before:
- Check your certificate’s status by entering your details at the public register.
- If your certificate has expired, download and complete Application for Renewal Under Transitional Arrangements for a Motor Vehicle Tradesperson Certificate – PDF.
- Lodge your completed form by:
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- post to Locked Bag 5138, Parramatta NSW 2124.
- you must be certified and qualified for all classes of repair work you do
- your certificate will be valid for 3 years before you need to renew or restore it again
- your renewal will be due the day before the anniversary date of the original grant.
Visit the NSW Fair Trading website to make sure you have all the information.