Back to top

You can renew your vehicle's registration online. While renewing you're also able to make changes to details like your usage type and the duration/term of the registration period.

If you're a Pensioner Concession Card holder you're entitled to free registration for one vehicle. You may also be eligible for automatic registration renewal. Visit Renew a vehicle registration (pensioner) to learn more.

Renew online
  • the vehicle's billing number (on your renewal notice, or retrievable when renewing)
  • a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance policy, commonly called a green slip, which your insurer will usually send electronically to Roads and Maritime Services (unless the vehicle is a trailer or caravan, in which case you don't need CTP insurance)
  • an eSafety inspection report, commonly called a pink slip (if applicable)
  • your payment details (if applicable)
  • your concession details (if applicable).

Your vehicle will need an inspection (pink slip) if:

  • your registration renewal notice displays that an inspection is required, and the registration period is unchanged. Light vehicle inspection reports are valid for 6 months from the date of issue. 
Renew online
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Renew online' button.
  3. If you have a MyServiceNSW Account, log in, follow the prompts and complete your renewal.
  4. If you don't have a MyServiceNSW Account, select one of the following:
    • 'Use billing number' and enter the billing number on your renewal notice, or
    • 'Don't have a billing number?' and retrieve it by entering the vehicle's NSW plate number, and selecting 'Search'.
  5. Select 'Next'.
  6. To change the usage type, select the 'I want to change the usage type' checkbox and use the dropdown menus to choose the new type.
  7. If you've changed the usage type to 'Pensioner', enter your concession details. Use the dropdown menu to choose the pensioner type, then enter your details as they appear on your concession card.
  8. If you have multiple CTP insurance policies (green slips), choose the appropriate policy.
  9. Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
  10. Choose your payment type and enter your payment details. If you choose BPAY, keep in mind that it takes 2 or 3 business days to process, and the registration will not be renewed until Roads and Maritime receives the full payment.
  11. Check and confirm the registration renewal.
  12. Print the receipt, or send it to any email address.
  13. If you didn't change the term or usage, write the Roads and Maritime receipt number on the vehicle's registration certificate. If you did change the term or usage, a new registration certificate will be mailed to the address of the registered operator within 7 days.
Renew online

Sometimes it's not possible to renew registration online. Please visit a service centre if:

  • the vehicle has been unregistered for more than 3 months, or
  • you ordered special number plates within the registration renewal period, and you haven't received the new plates yet.

If you're a pensioner, please read Renew a vehicle registration (pensioner).

Renew online
  • Light vehicles (including motorcycles and trailers) up to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass don't have registration labels.
  • If you don't renew the registration by the expiry date, your vehicle is unregistered. Driving an unregistered vehicle is illegal and carries heavy penalties, and can mean your vehicle is not covered by CTP insurance.
  • You can renew your registration online up to 3 months before it expires, but you must have your renewal notice to do so.
  • You can also renew your registration online up to 3 months after the expiry date. The new registration period will start from the date you make the payment, however the expiry date remains the same – you will not get a full year of registration.
  • Renewal notices are sent out 6 weeks prior to the renewal due date, but if required, they can be generated up to 3 months earlier, by calling 13 77 88 or visiting a service centre.
  • To renew a vehicle registration online, Roads and Maritime must electronically receive the CTP (if applicable) and the eSafety inspection report (if applicable).
  • Most vehicles won't need an inspection until they are over 5 years old. Your renewal notice will let you know if you need an inspection.
  • If you're a Pensioner Concession Card holder, you may be eligible for automatic registration renewal – visit Renew a vehicle registration (pensioner) to learn more.
Renew online

For online or phone transactions, you can pay with:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express), or
  • BPAY.

For transactions in person at a service centre, you can pay with:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order, or
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS).

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Renew online

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: