Text size


If you're not able to pay a fine and you meet the eligibility requirements, you can request a Work and Development Order (WDO).

A WDO enables you to pay off or reduce your fine by:

  • doing unpaid work
  • taking a course, or
  • receiving treatment.

An approved sponsor organisation or health practitioner will need to agree to support your WDO activity and apply on your behalf. 

The amount your fine is reduced by will be determined by the activity you complete in your WDO.


You're eligible if you're:

  • aged under 18
  • receiving a Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) benefit
  • have a mental illness, intellectual disability or cognitive impairment
  • have a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or volatile substances
  • experiencing serious financial hardship, or
  • homeless.

If you don't meet the eligibility criteria, you may still be able to request a WDO under exceptional circumstances (PDF).

What you need

  • documentation to support your eligibility claim
  • the support of an approved sponsor organisation or health practitioner
  • checklist of supporting documents your sponsor will request from you.

How to request

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Find a sponsor' button.
  3. Select the region appropriate for you.
  4. Contact a sponsor to discuss your situation. If you're not able to find a suitable sponsor, call the WDO hotline for assistance on 1300 478 879
  5. If the sponsor agrees to sponsor you, they'll ask you to provide the supporting documentation they need.
  6. Your sponsor will then complete and lodge the WDO application on your behalf.
Last updated: 24 October 2022
You'll be taken to another website.