If you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or if you hold a New Zealand driver licence, you're able to drive in NSW on an overseas licence for 3 months. Within this 3-month period however, you'll need to visit a Service NSW Centre and transfer your overseas licence to a NSW Driver Licence.

You may need to pass a knowledge or driving test, depending on where your overseas licence was issued. 

Drivers 75 years or older are required to undergo a medical review and may need to take a practical driving test.

Note: If you're a temporary visa holder or you cannot provide proof of permanent residency, you can apply for a NSW licence as a temporary overseas visitor

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'
  • your proof of identity
  • your overseas licence – if your licence is:
    • not in English, a Transport for NSW-approved translation
    • not available, an authorisation letter from the issuing country
  • your proof of Australian permanent residency
  • your payment.

If applicable:

  • your contact lenses or glasses
  • a knowledge test
  • a driving test 
  • a 'fitness to drive' medical.

How to transfer

  1. Select the 'Download a PDF form' button. 
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Gather your supporting information and documents.
  4. Visit a service centre and provide the information in person.

More information

  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or NSW Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date. This means you have plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 1 July 2023