Text size


If you're a temporary overseas visitor to NSW and you hold an overseas driver licence, you can apply for a NSW licence if you wish.

You'll need to successfully complete the knowledge test and driving test for the relevant class of licence, unless:

  • you've held an Australian driver licence that expired within the last 5 years
  • you hold a current New Zealand licence (not a learner or paper licence)
  • your current driver licence (not a learner), or one that expired within the last 5 years, was issued by a recognised overseas licensing authority.

Your licence will show the letter Q on the front of the card and ‘Evidence of permanent residency status not provided’ will be printed on the back of the card.

What you need

  • your overseas licence (if not in English, a Transport for NSW-approved translation must be supplied as well)
    • if your licence is not available, an authorisation letter from the issuing country will be required
  • your proof of identity
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • a 'fitness to drive' medical (if applicable)
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application or book your driver or rider licence test.

More information

You don’t have to get a NSW licence. You can drive the vehicles covered by your overseas licence in NSW indefinitely, as long as:

  • you remain a temporary overseas visitor
  • your overseas licence remains current
  • you have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or anywhere else
  • you have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driving privileges withdrawn
  • you carry your overseas licence with you
    • If your licence is not written in English, you must also carry an English translation, or an International Driving Permit.
  • you can prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police, if required.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 22 May 2023