Text size


If you've applied to register a relationship in NSW and you want to withdraw the application, you can do so, provided your notice to withdraw is submitted within 28 days of the original application.


  • Either you, the partner named in the original application, or both of you are able to submit the notice.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Notice to withdraw application to register a relationship'
  • your details
  • your identification documents as specified on the form, either:
    • original copies if submitting your notice to withdraw in person, or
    • certified copies if posting your notice
  • your partner's details and identification documents (if applicable).

How to withdraw

  1. Complete the Notice to withdraw application to register a relationship – PDF (this is the last page of the 'Application to register a relationship' form).
  2. Gather your identification documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your notice to withdraw in person, or post it to:
    NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
    GPO Box 30
    Sydney NSW 2001

More information

  • There's no fee to submit a notice to withdraw, but the original fee you paid for the application to register a relationship, isn't refundable.
Last updated: 12 May 2020